United Kingdom blocks U.S. access to British bases for potential Iran strike over legal concerns

By Martin Chomsky (Defence Industry Europe)

The United Kingdom has blocked a U.S. request to use British bases for a potential strike on Iran, according to multiple British media reports. The decision by Prime Minister Keir Starmer, first reported by The Times, was reportedly driven by concerns that such action could violate international law.
Photo: U.S. Navy.

The United Kingdom has blocked a U.S. request to use British bases for a potential strike on Iran, according to multiple British media reports. The decision by Prime Minister Keir Starmer, first reported by The Times, was reportedly driven by concerns that such action could violate international law.

 

President Trump had asked to use facilities at Diego Garcia and Royal Air Force Base Fairford in Gloucestershire, described as the European hub for America’s fleet of heavy bombers. The development comes as Trump has intensified pressure on Iran over its nuclear program, warning of “unfortunate” consequences if ongoing diplomatic talks fail.

Last week, the U.S.S. Gerald R. Ford, the world’s largest aircraft carrier, and its escort ships were deployed to the Middle East to join additional warships already positioned off the Iranian coast. The move expanded Trump’s military options in the region as tensions with Tehran continued to rise.

Trump told reporters Friday morning that he was considering a limited strike on Iran, according to a White House pool report. A day earlier, he suggested “10 to 15 days” as a possible deadline for reaching a deal.

 

 

The Times reported that the Trump administration was drafting plans for a strike that could include using both U.K. bases, a point Trump appeared to confirm in a Wednesday post on Truth Social. “Should Iran decide not to make a Deal, it may be necessary for the United States to use Diego Garcia, and the Airfield located in Fairford, in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous Regime — An attack that would potentially be made on the United Kingdom, as well as other friendly Countries,” he wrote.

According to The Times, Starmer’s refusal to allow a preemptive strike from British territory also fueled Trump’s renewed criticism of a U.K. agreement with Mauritius over the Chagos Islands. Under the deal, the U.K. has agreed to transfer sovereignty of the archipelago in the central Indian Ocean to Mauritius and pay about 101 million pounds, or $136 million, to secure a 99-year lease on Diego Garcia.

The State Department reaffirmed its support for the agreement in a Tuesday press release ahead of bilateral security talks with Mauritius in Port Louis. Less than 24 hours later, Trump called the handover a “big mistake” on social media.

 

 

“Prime Minister Starmer should not lose control, for any reason, of Diego Garcia, by entering a tenuous, at best, 100 Year Lease. This land should not be taken away from the U.K. and, if it is allowed to be, it will be a blight on our Great Ally,” he wrote.

The decision also drew criticism from former CIA Director Gen. David Petraeus, who said Friday it was “very disappointing” that U.S. forces would be unable to refuel or recover on the strategically located island. “Presumably, they are keenly aware of the destructive actions by Iran, whether it’s the nuclear program, the missile program, support for proxies; they’ve been on the receiving end of some of Iran’s more nefarious action,” Petraeus, a retired four-star Army general, told hosts John Catsimatidis and Rita Cosby on the “Cats & Cosby” radio show on WABC 770 AM.

 

Source: The Hill.

 

Tags:

Related news & articles

Latest news

Featured